Monday, February 15, 2010

Getting to Know: Head Coach Pete Stevenson

The start of our "Getting to Know" series begins with none other than new head coach Pete Stevenson in an interview conducted buy Junior Midfielder Steve Keyes. Click below the mullet to see how it went.





You are from Utah, what was it like growing up there?

It was a lot of fun. I am the oldest of 7 children and my brothers and I went on lots of adventures. Lots of camping and hiking as a child. Swimming in lakes and rivers. Backpacking and lacrosse took up my time. I also drank a lot of Kool - Aid. Mostly Purplesaurus Rex until they discontinued it. And then my time was spent complaining about the fact that they didn't make it anymore.

So I remember you saying that you’re not a big skier, how can someone from Utah not ski?
I have never been downhill skiing in my life, although I have done quite a bit of cross country skiing. I even was an instructor for a scout camp for a winter. I prefer not to take a ride to the top of the mountain. I did sled often as well. I was a member of the Orem Sledding High Intensity Team.

When did you first pick up a lacrosse stick?
In the fall of 1994, I heard they were starting a lacrosse league in Utah and so some friends of mine and some kids from another school started the Utah County team. It changed my life.

How did you get into coaching?
I have been coaching since I graduated high school in 1996 in some form or another. I loved the game so much that my way to give back was through coaching. I was an Assistant at Orem High in 97, And was the head coach at Orem in 2000 after I returned from my LDS mission. Once I started playing at University, with the help of Jason Lamb, we started a youth league for the kids in Utah County. I coached many, many kids till I took the head coaching job at Mountain View in 06, and then went on to BYU for two years in 07. I love coaching. I love it more than playing.

If you weren’t here at C.U. what would you be doing?
I would be coaching high school in Utah, and waiting for the right job to come open to coach at the next level.

What is the best thing about Boulder?
The lacrosse. I don't really do much besides coach. So, lets go with lacrosse.

What is the worst thing?

My daughters live 8 hours away.

Who are your 5 favorite musicians?
Johnny Cash, Ben Folds, The Blow, Chuck Berry, Weezer.

If you could meet one person from all of history who would it be?
James K. Polk.

The Dark Horse or Larkburger?
Larkburger.

What would you like to say to the readers of this interview?
I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete